Die Frieden Kirche
Die Frieden Kirche or Peace Church was begun by a group of German farmers who
worshipped in their homes. The congregation was officially
organized by the Reverend Anthony Hautz in 1793. In 1797 a small
log house was purchased for use as a School, home for a school master and a temporary church. Construction of Peace Church began in 1798 and was completed and dedicated
on May 19, 1799.
In 1807 the Lutheran Congregation from Poplar Grove bought half ownership in
the church and the two shared the building every other Sunday.
The Doll Organ was purchased from Conrad Doll the same year. It
is said to be the first instrument of its kind to be used in a church in Cumberland County.
In 1864 the Lutherans suggested that a new church be constructed. At first the Reformed people agreed, but after articles were drawn up they
decided that their small congregation could not afford their share. The new Lutheran Church was completed and dedicated in late June,
1866. The Reform Congregation held their final communion service
in Peace Church on 23 June 1866. Both congregations still hold
services in the church once a year.
In 1969, Peace Church was acquired by the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania. It is being administered as an historic site by
The Pennsylvania Historic and Museum Commission. The church has
been operated for the benefit of the public by The Friends of Peace Church since 1973. It is open from 2 to 5 every Sunday afternoon June through